Applications are now closed
Be Bold Performance Residency Program 2020-21
IMPORTANT: These updated Be Bold Residency guidelines respond to the current context in which we’re working, as we attempt to reduce the spread of COVID-19. We’ve extended the deadlines, and we’re encouraging you to consider what work can be developed and presented within the next 12 months given the ever-changing circumstances. During uncertainty, there may be a growing need for agile timeframes, technology to keep us connected, and creative responses to restrictions.
Cash and space for ‘BOLD’ new work, with and for the artists and communities of Brimbank.
What are the Be Bold Performance Residencies?
Artists and arts organisations are invited to submit an application for the 2020 Be Bold Performance Residency.
The Be Bold Performance Residency provides a professional development, creative development and presentation space for artists and arts organisations to make and present new work with and for the local community.
The Be Bold Performance Residency Program supports:
- Process-driven arts practice and risk taking in making new, contemporary performance work with potential for future presentations;
- Artistic and career development for artists and arts organisations;
- Increased community reach and engagement;
- Development of new, local audiences;
- Work that is reflective of the cultural identity of Brimbank; and
- Artistic merit in the presentation of new work that positions the Bowery as a place that nurtures bold ideas and shares them with the community.
What’s on offer?
For the mid-career or established artists of arts organisations category, up to $5,000 cash contribution will be awarded per residency.
For the emerging artist or arts organisation category, up to $3,000 cash contribution will be awarded per residency. This is to cover artist fees, trainer/mentor fees, production costs, marketing and administration costs (no more than 10% of the cash contribution).
In addition, the following support will be available to successful applicants, with agreement of the Bowery Executive Producer:
- Co-presentation of the residency’s performance outcome
- 50/50 box office split on ticketed presentations
- Up to $4,500 in kind technical and front of house staff support
- 1 Full day access to the Bowery for performance plus up to four additional rehearsal days in the Bowery leading up to the performance
- Up to 80 hours in community spaces (for example 1 x 4 hour session per week for 20 weeks) based on availability
- Bowery staff / producer / marketing support
- Print and online marketing commensurate with Bowery mainstage programming
- Box office setup
Key Dates [REVISED]:
Applications close: By 5pm on 31 MAY 2020 (previously 17 April)
Decisions announced: July 2020
Agreements finalised: September 2020
Residency activity: Between 1 October 2020 and 31 May 2021 (previously July to April)
Acquittal Due: 14 June 2021
For advice and/or guidance for applicants, please contact:
Ph. +61 3 9249 4609
Community & Creative Partnerships Officer
Ph. +61 3 9249 4613
Image credit: Sarah Walker